Friday, April 25, 2014

Thoughts along the way

When my phone pinged at 11:50 this morning, I almost ignored it. Lazily picking up my device, I stared at the on-screen reminder in horror: "Mystery Reader 12:00." I signed up to be the "mystery reader" for Emily's first grade class two months ago, and then I promptly forgot about my obligation. Fortunately, the school is only two minutes from our house. I threw down my half eaten sandwich, grabbed a book off Emily's bookshelf, and ran out the front door. I knocked on the door of the classroom at 12:00 on the dot and was rewarded by Emily's surprised squeal, "It's my Mommy! Mommy!" Every time I think of those expectant little faces staring up at me, I breathe a prayer of thankfulness - I can't imagine anything worse than disappointing a classroom of children. 

The rest of the day disappeared quickly, and by dinnertime, a harebrained notion had begun to take shape in my head. As reward for cleaning their rooms, I offered to take the children (sans husband) out for a sit-down dinner at Dragon Gate Chinese restaurant. The meal went relatively well, but I did a considerable amount of shushing. I am never sure if my children are as loud as I think they are or if my fear of disturbing others just heightens the sensation. 

There were a few entertaining moments that I think are worth recording. 

Emily: "Mm. I like these hot stickers."
Me: "Pot stickers, Emily. Pot."
(a few minutes later)
Emily: "Can I have some more hot stingers? ...oh whatever they are!"

Ava: "Mom, can you read mine?" (fortune cookie)
Me: "It says, 'You need to refine your exercise routine.' That's not a fortune!"
Ava (later in the car): "Mom, I want to do what my fortune told me to do."
Me: "What? Exercise?"
Ava: "Yes, can we do that when we get home? I want you to show me what to do."
Emily: "I wish I had gotten your fortune because I love to exercise..."   

I'm purposely ignoring the pile of laundry on the couch and reveling in the happiness of warm milk and a snugly kitten instead. I'm half watching a PBS program on what it means to be "Born to Royalty." I suppose I should head to bed soon, but the house seems too still and quiet. Johnathan is camping this weekend, and I hate the thought of going to bed alone. There are rare moments when I understand how people get sucked into falling asleep with the TV on every night.

No comments: