Monday, October 15, 2012

Photo fun

Every year the Cumming County Fair and Festival kicks off in early October, signaling the beginning of fall. My kids love the fair, and I have to admit that I'm a little partial to it myself. It's a big "to do" in the county, and for some reason, I'm always excited to see rides go up and the vendors come out. Maybe deep down I simply love the predictability of it.

Saturday, October 6th was free admission and rides from 10:00-11:00. We arrived around 10:15 and stared  in awe horror at the lines. Over the course of forty-five minutes, we were able to ride one ride for free - the carousel.


Kids on the carousel.
   

At 11:00, the lines mysteriously disappeared. Rides were still two for the price of one, so we bought a few tickets and watched the kids soar, dip, and smile. David and Emily rode the Flying Circus, Ava was content with a low-key Nemo ride, and David and Emily finished up with a roller coaster.

I was jealous. Looks like fun.
Ecstatic
Wheeeee


 When the temps started climbing and our long sleeves became unbearable (it's amazing how hot 76 degrees can be on asphalt), we left the fairgrounds and made our way over to Dairy Queen. Another downtown tradition... The girls amused themselves by covering their faces with ice cream, and David was less than amused when his ice cream melted too fast and covered everything but his face.


When we got home, I packed up the camera and headed down the street to take some pictures of my cousin, Hannah. We were discussing where to take pictures when she mentioned an old (falling down) house on some recently cleared land. It sounded interesting enough, so off we went on an adventure. If there were no trespassing signs posted, I (purposely) didn't see them. The old building was surrounded by trees and brush, completely overgrown and looking as if a stiff breeze would make it collapse. An interesting backdrop to be sure. Beyond that was a field with bales of hay, peaceful and serene...except for the fact that there were probably snakes watching me. We even took our chances and popped into an old building across the road. Old machinery, the smell of untouched dirt, and the rattle of loose tin on the roof. We joked about weeping angels, and I snapped faster, inching ever closer to the door. For a few hours in the afternoon, I felt like we were kids again, poking around and pretending to be adventurous.












 After pictures, I went home and helped Johnathan finish gathering sticks for our bonfire. We roasted hot dogs and made s'mores while David made up crazy stories about crazy chickens that were really snakes. ...or was it the other way around? I'm not sure, but it lived in a cave in the evergreen forest regardless.



It was a late night, and the next morning came way too early. It was Old Timer's Day at our church, which meant we were obliged to dress old-fashionedly. Our eras clashed a little bit within the family, but I was generally pleased with the results. The kids were more suited to 1800s life, while Johnathan and I would have fit better in the early 1900s.




Sunday morning service was followed by dinner in the family life center, and a four-night revival service kicked off that evening.

It was a great week. Things just seem to fall into place better when I'm doing the things I should. I also love having thoughtful conversations with my husband. The final message of the week was presented by an eighty-eight year old former pastor. His message is something I have been needing. It also launched Johnathan and I into a discussion about prayer...and resulted in some reading of the ever-enjoyable C.S. Lewis. 

The week ended with Fall Family Camping, but that's another post for another night. Onward and upward. Goodnight.

No comments: