Saturday, June 20, 2015

Don't get me wrong

So quiet. The girls have been asleep for hours, David is still at Scout camp, and Johnathan is out with some Scouting friends. I should have been asleep ages ago, but instead I'm watching Bridget Jones Diary and trying to forget about the shortbread cookies in the pantry.

On the west coast, my dear friend is enjoying her wedding reception. Since I am stuck on the east coast, experiencing highlights via text message, it only seems fitting that I should watch a romantic comedy and eat sweets. I will probably regret my decision when the inevitable wacky dreams kick in later tonight.

It has been more than a year since I wrote anything here, and it's hard to know how to sum up the past fourteen months. David completed fifth grade and is eagerly looking forward to the wide world of middle school. Emily started gymnastics this year and recently broke her arm by tripping over her own feet in P.E. Ava excelled in kindergarten and has had an endless stream of questions the past few months. Johnathan is currently interning for the summer and only has one semester of college remaining. I'm in year seven with my current company, and our office just moved to a new location.

Sunday marks the beginning of summer, but I'm almost certain Christmas was just a few weeks ago. I spent weeks (er...months) dreading my thirtieth birthday in January, but the big day came and went without too much fanfare, and life continued like normal. It feels strange to belong in a different age bracket now, but yet it's oddly settling at the same time.

I'm hoping to write more often, even if I'm only writing about the mundane aspects of life. Someday I will want to remember how my children forced me to watch horrible movies with talking animals.

"Don't get me wrong
If I come and go like fashion
I might be great tomorrow
But hopeless yesterday"

No comments: