Saturday, December 28, 2013

We wish(ed) you a Merry Christmas

When I haven't written anything in three months, it is hard to know where to start. To begin where I left off...

Near the end of September, David began asking questions about the day of his birth and who was present when he was born. Since the day Johnathan and I were married, I have dreaded having to tell my son that I did not carry him. I nervously wondered how our relationship would change, but my worries turned out to be unfounded. Things between us are the same as they have always been, and I have said many prayers of thankfulness.

The last weekend of September, Johnathan surprised me with a belated anniversary trip to Blue Ridge. He rented a cozy little cabin in the middle of nowhere, and we spent a chilly Friday winding our way through mountains and stopping at our leisure. Things rapidly deteriorated once we reached the cabin, and I spent the weekend confined to the cabin with a stomach virus. It was not the ideal getaway hubby had planned, but I will never forget camping out on the couch, watching re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond, and nibbling on rice crackers.

At the beginning of October, the kids and I went to Johnathan's first band concert. Ava kept pointing at people and saying, "Oh! I guess that's what Dad's friends look like!" or "Look at that guy's hair sticking up!" Just a reminder that my life is drastically different from what it was seven years ago.

The remainder of the month was a flurry of fall activities.


  • We hiked to the Indian Seats and obtained some breathtaking panoramic photos - I always love sitting on top of the mountain with the world so silent and far away below me. 



  • We went to the Cumming Country Fair and Festival with Granpere and Natalie, and Emily and David rode the Ferris Wheel for the first time. 

  • Ava went on her first field trip - a very cold day at Hillcrest Orchard in Ellijay. We watched a pig race, sampled cider, ate a picnic lunch, and stopped for hot cocoa on the way home.

In November, I chased fall foliage and beautiful sunsets all over North Georgia.


Mom and I decorated a table for the WMU banquet, and David's patrol won first in show for their Screaming Eagle car at the Cubmobile race.


For Thanksgiving, we journeyed to coastal Georgia. I did a bit of Black Friday shopping with my mother/sister-in-law in downtown Savannah, and Johnathan and I later took the kids to Coastal Bamboo Gardens to look at Christmas lights. The family helped Great-grandma decorate her house for Christmas, and we baked Christmas cookies for snack. 


In December, my husband turned 30 and made a 4.0 during his first semester back in college. I think he's pretty spiffy. I sat in as guest with UNG's concert band and played de Meij's Lord of the Rings for the first time in about ten years. It felt good to play with a group again. The remainder of the month, I played around with Elves on Shelves, Christmas lights, and my new camera. 

Christmas has come and gone with lots of family time and baked goodies. I'm anticipating life getting back to "normal," but I'm also sad to lose the holiday season. It has been a wonderful Christmas, and I have enjoyed seeing the joy and wonder in my kids eyes.