Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happiness is sunshine

This day is as close to perfection as it gets. There's not a cloud in the sky, and a constant breeze is keeping things refreshing. I'm stretched out on my bed, listening to the rustle of curtains and the sweet melody of my wind chimes. Nothing can quite capture the tranquility of it all, but I tried to take a video. The birds aren't audible, the chimes sound too tinny, and the curtains stopped blowing at the wrong moment. Just a reminder that beauty cannot be captured by camera, canvas, or words. It can only be experienced. Our best attempts only capture a moment of beauty, a hazy glimpse of the real thing.


I have been spending a lot of time getting my hands dirty this weekend. Spring is in the air, and flowers are beginning to peek up through the winter foliage. 

 

I went to the Southeastern Flower Show yesterday and immediately came home with a desire to play in the dirt. The whole family has been alternating between work and play (okay, so the kids mostly just play), and Johnathan and I finally tackled the chore of the chicken house. We should have taken before/after shots to show the transformation. The old chicken house at the back of our property is storing decades worth of junk. Interesting junk, but still just junk. It is covered with honeysuckle vines and surrounded by thick briers.   I'm not sure how long it will take to get everything cleared out, but it will definitely be a job.

The kids have planted a strawberry plant and an ornamental cabbage, and I am excitedly watching the growth of my tomato seedlings. If I'm brave, I might also attempt green beans and cucumbers.

Flower show
Helping Daddy

Kid's plants


The perfect back yard



No comments: