Sunday, February 24, 2013

Moments Like This

It has been a windows open, planting flowers with the kids, chocolate chip cookies baking kind of day. I think I need more days like this in my life. 

I spent most of the week dreading worrying about how we were going to survive our hectic weekend schedule. We spent Friday night preparing for the Blue and Gold Banquet by decorating the Family Life Center and baking a Dutch Oven Triple Chocolate cake. Our super sleepy family got up ridiculously early the next morning and trekked to Milledgeville for an Alumni Jazz Band rehearsal. After lunch with friends, we hurried back to Cumming, threw together a pot of chili, and frantically made our way to the banquet. Okay, so maybe I was the only one feeling frantic... In my defense, there was a full pot of chili sloshing around in the trunk. Every bit of our cake disappeared, but our chili never made its way out of the kitchen and onto the serving table. The bright spot is that I now have six bags of it in my freezer for whenever I don't feel like cooking. 

My Sunday School kids made wind socks this morning, and the choir sang one of my favorite hymns during worship time. The pastor preached on the Love of God and reminded us that we don't choose who we love - we're commanded to love everyone. Furthermore, we can't love others the way we should if we don't love God like we should. It was nice to come home this afternoon and have no obligations. The kids and I planted and watered flowers while Johnathan replaced the weather stripping on our doors. I love happy family time, even when it means muddy shoes, wet clothes, and flowers that will probably die due to over-eager fingers. Today has been a quiet reminder to make the most of every moment. Every day (good or bad) is a day I can't get back, and every day is another opportunity to show true love to the people around me.  

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade;
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry;
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.