Sunday, February 03, 2013

"Just the typical facts of a typical life..."

Saturday mornings are glorious. No alarms. No obligations. Just uninterrupted sleep. At least until 8:00 or so... The children know not to bug Mom and Dad before 8:00, but after that, there are no holds barred. This morning I heard Emily shout, "Let's go get Mommy!" Thirty seconds later, there were three children piled on top of me. They wiggled and giggled, and then Emily requested breakfast in bed. As a compromise, I pulled out the china and served hot tea and Belvita breakfast biscuits in the den.


The kids watched Netflix, sipped tea, and danced around the house for a while. I took the trash out and marveled at the beautiful sunshine and happy little flowers blooming in my back yard. But within a few hours, the sky had turned overcast and fluffy snowflakes were falling from the sky. The flakes melted as soon as they touched the warm ground, but the swirl of flurries was oddly relaxing. By the time Ava and I were headed home from the grocery store, the snow had changed over to a steady, unrelenting rain. The kids have been cooped up by foul weather lately, but they find ways to amuse themselves. 


The family watched snippets of Pirates of the Caribbean while eating chips and cheese dip, but the movie didn't really hold the kids attention. David read some of Johnathan's old Nintendo Power magazines while the girls played My Little Pony in their bedroom. We have an incredible mess to clean up tomorrow, but it will keep.

I love weekends. The kids have done a great job of making me feel wanted lately. They look forward to the weekend almost as much as I do, and "Mommy will be home ALL DAY on Saturday and Sunday" has become a mantra for them. They're always awake when I leave for work (thanks to a new school start time), so my leaving makes a bigger impact on them than it used to. Running out the door is so much more bearable when there are three little people waving from the den window.  

I'm not sure why Johnathan and I are still awake, especially since we have to get up early for instrumental ensemble and Sunday School. Sleep has become like an old friend; familiar, inviting, and easy to get in touch with. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your website?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Also visit my web site ... golf tips bunker