Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Tranquility

I adore my family more than anything in this world, but there is something to be said for moments of quiet reflection. I came home from work a bit early today and walked into a still house. Johnathan and the kids went on a rainy day shopping excursion to the Scout Store in Jefferson. David recently earned a twenty-five dollar gift card from scouts, and it only seems fitting to spend the money on scout-related items. Piggy banks are turned over in the girls room, so I can only assume that Emily and Ava also took money for spending.

Rain is falling steadily outside, cars are swishing by on the road, and the only other sound is peaceful silence, which is really more sensation than sound. I'm taking a mental walk in the rain, and it doesn't involve getting my feet wet. Mind breaks are so important to health and happiness, but I spend way too much time fixated on daily essentials. Last night I darted around the yard, grabbing fist fulls of air in an attempt to catch fireflies. It was a nice, frivolous departure from the norm.

Tomorrow is Independence Day, and rain has settled in for the next forty-eight hours. I'm assuming there will be no fireworks display tonight, and the annual steam engine parade might be rained out as well. Happy soggy birthday, America.

No comments: