Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Life Rolls On

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future. Summer break is upon us, and when Fall arrives, our lives will be very different. Johnathan is going back to school to finish his degree, and Ava will begin Pre-K. I better plug in to some continuing education courses to avoid being left behind.

The kids have had a great school year. David achieved a perfect score on the math portion of the CRCT, and Emily was accepted to the gifted program.They have made new friends since switching schools, and Emily is quite sure she has found the boy she will marry. Ava can't wait to start school and is already practicing writing her name. I don't have the same kind of time with Ava that I had with David and Emily. We don't read quite as much or count quite as often, but she is constantly surprising me with what she already knows.

I am trying to think of more note-worthy happenings, but I keep listening for the rumble of thunder instead. A  shocking six to seven inches of rain fell early Sunday morning, causing roads to wash out and a local dam to collapse. We also acquired a giant water spot on our ceiling courtesy of an elusive leak around the chimney. It has been a very wet Spring. I'm glad we're finally out of the drought, and I love a rainy day as much as the next person - I just hope the showers hold off until we can fix the roof next week.

Even as I'm sitting here typing this, I'm reminding myself that at least I have a roof to fix. Oklahoma was hit with an EF-5 tornado earlier this week, and the devastation was unbelievable. It's mind boggling how a home can be reduced to matchsticks.

No thunder yet. Crossing my fingers for a quiet, restful night.

No comments: