Thursday, January 17, 2019

This is Life

I have to make an appearance here every so often, just so the old blog knows I'm still alive and kicking. I had an opportunity to consider life and love at various stages while standing in line at Hobby Lobby this afternoon. An older man and his daughter were behind me in line, and the daughter was telling her Dad about the store. The duo laughed over the amount of time that a person could spend browsing various aisles. Then the man remarked, "Your mother would have loved a store like this..." I laughed and said, "It's pretty easy to do some damage in here." The man touched me on the shoulder and asked, "You know who could do some shopping?" He gestured toward a large picture frame in his daughter's hand. "This woman right here." I stared at a beautifully framed photo of a distinguished looking lady. "She passed away on Sunday," the man continued. I offered my condolences and told him that the picture was beautiful. It was. The thing that struck me most, however, was the warm pride in the man's voice when he referred to his wife. I have heard the same almost tangible fondness when my grandfather refers to my grandmother. It's simultaneously heart breaking and uplifting. I walked out into the rain after my seemingly insignificant store encounter and felt as though I had been given a gift.

Love is a gift.

No comments: