Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The big 2-7

I turn twenty-seven on Saturday. I'm not devastated to find myself one year closer to the dreaded 3-0, but it does seem a bit surreal. I'm pretty sure my kids are more excited about my birthday than I am. David has already made me two birthday cards, and we're not even to the big day yet! His last card cheerfully informed me that in honor of my date of birth, he would be glad to play with me in Emily's play kitchen. All three of them have enjoyed whipping lavish dinners into imaginary being, and all I have to do is sip, slurp, nod, and rattle off food items.

After her bath tonight, Ava kept screaming heartily about something being "huck." For anyone who doesn't speak AWM, that roughly translates into "stuck." I kept saying, "What's stuck? No, you're not stuck." In the midst of Ava's hysterics, Emily pulled out pajamas and announced that she wanted to dress her baby sister. Ava was in no mood to be dressed by Emily, but the more I discouraged her, the closer Emily inched toward a complete meltdown. In one of those "enough" moments, I threw up my hands, walked out of room, and said, "Fine. Dress her. But if she gets angry and kicks your front teeth out, don't say I didn't warn you." Even after her pajamas were secured (with protests from both sides), Ava continued to wail like a lost soul. I finally grasped the situation when she ran to the bathroom, pointed at the tub, and reiterated "ih huck!" My youngest child has developed a fear of things getting stuck in the drain. When the water is let out of the tub, she bravely holds all of her toys away from the sucking, swirling monster and screams like mad if something escapes her grasp and lands in the hole. I have observed this behavior, but Johnathan has not, and as it so happens, Johnathan was the one to take Ava out of the tub tonight. Her toys...were stuck. As I scooped Ava's toys to safety, Emily ran into the bathroom, gave me a toothy grin, and declared, "I still have my teeth!"

"God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well." - Voltaire

No comments: